dinsdag 29 september 2009

Geachte groepsgenoten,

Hieronder het interview met Cory Godbey.

Chris



Development

  • What is better in your opinion? Focus on different styles, or specialize in one?
If there's a natural inclination in your work it will show itself. To work on style I think, is misguided. Whenever I focused on a "style" especially while in school, I was inevitably frustrated.


It’s a matter of drawing a lot and trying to be better and make things beautiful. For a long time I saw artists that I admired and wanted to draw like but just couldn’t make it work. I’d get astronomically discouraged about drawing but this guy Tim Banks’ work made me feel like I could get it. I took 2 one week summer classes from him back towards the end of high school. I also had the privilege to work with Tim for about a month (before he moved on to grad school) I remember in the first class Tim doodled on the board and said something like, “If you want to draw an arm like this (he scribbled some wiggly cartoon arm, it sort of looked like a wing) just go ahead.” I think my brain exploded right there. And it all started to make sense. Don’t fool around trying to be something you’re not, just go ahead and draw.

If that last bit sounds juvenile, starry-eyed, and something like a plot from a Disney channel original movie, that’s fine and I’m prepared to deal with it.

The best option for the artist is do what you like to do and if people like it they might pay you to do more. If you fill your portfolio with styles and what you think people/clients want to see you're just making it harder for yourself to get work doing what it is you like to do.

It's about working hard and learning to draw, not developing a style.

  • How do you keep your work interesting for you, so it don't get into a rut?
Well, client work is usually fun but sometimes it's not. Sometimes you just have to keep your head down and work through it. I keep myself interested with a lot of personal projects and writing. I have a sketchbook full of projects; different stories I'm working on, illustration projects, art shows, short graphic novel stories, that I'm working my way through.

  • Is your work very different now than during your study?
Yes, and no. I think now I have a better handle on my abilities and I'm generally able to do what it is I mean to do when I start something (most times) On the other hand I still enjoy drawing a lot the same things as in school; trolls and princesses.

  • In wich way did you develop yourself?
Work! Do what you love, and draw what you love.

  • What kind of projects do you want to do in the future?
I love writing and telling stories. I have several collections of stories and books I'm working towards. Also there's so many wonderful books already out there that I would love to illustrate.

  • How does a (productive) workweek of you look like?
Pretty low key, depending on what is due. Occasionally things will get backed up and there's a lot to do in a given week. It might mean some late nights but mostly it's a pretty even 7 or 8 hours of client work and then (depending on how much I am enjoying a work project) I like to spend some time on some personal work.

  • Do you do a lot of international work, is that important to you?
Sure, it's fun. I haven't been flown out to meet a client yet, though!



Fiction Story

  • Is it wise to do as many orders as possible, or only do what you like to do?
Do what you like, if other people like it they might pay you to do more.
  • How much freedom do you have in your work? (Can you do everything you want or are there demands)
Most writing I do is for myself and my own work, with this I'm able to do what I like. For my story "Walters" in Flight 6 there were some requests by the editor (mostly condensing the story-telling) but nothing major.
  • Why do you want to tell a story?
There's a lot of reasons. Some are as simple as I like a certain idea and I want to explore it. With others, there's a feeling I want to capture. I want to share optimism and add something of value to the world.
  • Where do you get your inspiration from?
I'm not really sure, sometimes I'll read something I want to think about more or I love old Grimm fairy tales, and Swedish folk tales in particular. The paintings of Arthur Rackham are amazing. There's a lot of places to see interesting things. Books and stories are a great inspiration.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten